1. CIE Oct/Nov 2018 session papers, marking schemes and other resources have been updated in our papers section.
    Furthermore, we have also updated resources for Edexcel, OCR, IB, TOEFL, SAT, GMAT and more.

Click here for more information.

Good luck with your exams.

Dismiss Notice

Biology Paper 6 ( ATP)

Discussion in 'Cambridge O Levels' started by ROCK THE FIRST, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ROCK THE FIRST

ROCK THE FIRST

Any tips and notes regarding Bio Paper 6...........I don't know what to practice............and can plz someone tell me that which topics come in it.

2. XPC Bot

Sponsored Listings
  3. Vogue

Vogue

normally schools dunt make students see each practical done ....due to shortage of time may b...
    all the practice of ATP is carried out by doing pastpapers. Bio ATP mostly focuses on genetics, transport in plants , food tests, germination and coordination
    slide preparation and magnification questions are often asked. i dunt think that there is any particular book that teaches ATP concepts bcz ATP is bascially putting the theory, that u learn, into practice....

4. sweetiepie

sweetiepie

Biology paper 6 tips
    in paper 6 u dont need to study alot compared to paper 3
    i suggest u to know the drawing and identify most diagram (eg. xylem, pholum, blood vessel, )
    the most hardest diagram is about the vertibrate for me (eg, insecta, myriapod, ..... )
    u should also know the test for starch, fat, protein, reducing sugar !!!!! (if u need them post it here)
    Starch:
    Iodine, observe a colour change from brown to blue-black.

Reducing Sugars:
    Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Then add Benedict's solution and heat using a waterbath. Observe a colour change from blue to brick-red.

Protein:
    Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Add potassium hydroxide and copper sulphate. Observe a colour change from blue to purple.

Fat:
    Cut or grind off a small portion. Place in a test tube of ethanol and shake. Add the liquid part of this mixture to a test tube containing water. Observe a cloudy emulsifying change.

magnification formula : magnification=image/actual.

every thing else is about ur concept of the course
    and dont forget to learn about the effect, use, and where its produce of auxin

hope that helped

5. daredevil

daredevil

can u plese tell what is auxin? also its effects, use and where it is produced.

6. Iridescent

Iridescent

Auxins are the growth hormones in plants. They are produced at the tips of the plant shoots. They cause the elongation of the cells and cause growth.
    In positive phototropism, the auxins accumulate at the side of darkness leading to rapid growth in this side. This causes the shoot to grow inthe direction of light. In negative geotropism the auxins accumulate at the side of the darkness but the high concentration of auxins inhibit the growth in this side. Therefore the root grows away from light. In the positive geotropism, the auxins accumulate at the side of gravity. It inhibits growth at this side causing the growth at the opposite side bending of root towards gravity. In the negative geotropism, the auxins accumulate at the lower side of the shoot causing growth in this side leading to the bending of the shoot away from gravity.
    They are used as weed killers, used in food processing industry to prevent the bananas from ripening, growth of sugar cane at low temperature. Another use of auxins is in root cutting. The grower cut off apiece of parent plant and dip its base into a hormone rooting powder and place it in damp compost. The powder contains auxin which stimulate new roots to grow from the cut stem and the newly formed plant has the same characteristics as the parent plant.

I hope this helps you daredevil!

7. Vogue

Vogue

are auxins a part of O level bio syllabus? my tchr never reffered to them.....

Mariyam zia, me_lonelyboy and Buzzy like this.
  8. multixamza01

multixamza01

beats me.... i never heard of em idar

me_lonelyboy and Buzzy like this.
  9. khanrocks20

khanrocks20

auxins are not a part of the course

10. Iridescent

Iridescent

Anyways i'm in IGCSE student n its there in our syllabus. daredevil asked so i mentioned bout auxins.

zohra`xo and Ibtizam like this.
  11. daredevil

daredevil

oh Thank God they are not in the syllabus!! i freaked out!! :p anyways thnx alot duaazahra ... it was informative nevertheless.

12. khanrocks20

khanrocks20

btw do u have anymore atp guidelines?

Vogue likes this.
  13. daredevil

daredevil

xactly my point ;)

wild child likes this.
  14. ROCK THE FIRST

ROCK THE FIRST

Can someone tell me the experiments which come most frequently in ATP?

wild child likes this.
  15. Vogue

Vogue

food tests, plant reproduction , transport in mammals nd plants, genetics, eye coordination

Oreos likes this.
  16. manurocksman

manurocksman

wild child likes this.
  17. ROCK THE FIRST

ROCK THE FIRST

What about enzymes?

18. Vogue

Vogue

umm enzymez...yea they do come.....but i did not see their questions too often....the topics that i mentioned are the ones that frequently occur in questions...

19. sweetiepie

sweetiepie

Biology paper 6 tips
    in paper 6 u dont need to study alot compared to paper 3
    i suggest u to know the drawing and identify most diagram (eg. xylem, pholum, blood vessel, )
    the most hardest diagram is about the vertibrate for me (eg, insecta, myriapod, ..... )
    u should also know the test for starch, fat, protein, reducing sugar !!!!! (if u need them post it here)
    Starch:
    Iodine, observe a colour change from brown to blue-black.

Reducing Sugars:
    Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Then add Benedict's solution and heat using a waterbath. Observe a colour change from blue to brick-red.

Protein:
    Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Add potassium hydroxide and copper sulphate. Observe a colour change from blue to purple.

Fat:
    Cut or grind off a small portion. Place in a test tube of ethanol and shake. Add the liquid part of this mixture to a test tube containing water. Observe a cloudy emulsifying change.

magnification formula : magnification=image/actual.

every thing else is about ur concept of the course
    and dont forget to learn about the effect, use, and where its produce of auxin

http://www.foodafactoflife.org.uk/attachments/8de169cc-5e96-4aa409471eb8.pdf
    hope that helped

20. Khadija.95

Khadija.95

Don't we multiply with hundred for magnification?
    i.e, Magnification=(drawing/image)X100
    Isn't that the formula for when they haven't given us any magnification with the image?

21. daredevil

daredevil

uh
    i don't think so ... no! multiplication in magn. is only when a number is given with the image and we multiply that number with our calculated magnification. otherwise its just drawing/image. if u still have any doubts please confirm it and post the right ans. here 2! :)