Advertising is a form of communication that typically attempts to persuade potential customers to purchase or to consume more of a particular brand of product or service.
Aims of Advertisement
Purpose of Advertising
- When a new product is introduced.
- Aimed to create demand of new product.
- To persuade people to buy a product of a particular brand.
- To remind people of existing products.
- To draw attraction of customers.
Types of Advertising
- Informing the public of a new products.
- For example a new car launch.
- Telling people that a particular brand is superior to all other brands.
- Adds repeated again and again.
- Is the promotion of a particular product or service.
- For example “Our mineral water is purified by the latest technology”.
- Concerned with the promotion of overall image of the company.
- For example “Our company contributes to keeping the country clean”
- Advertisement of a product not a particular brand.
- For example “Drinking Milk is essential for children”
- Financed by all the producers of the product.
- Carried out by different producers encouraging public to buy their brand.
- For example Pepsi.
- Advertisement without involvement of any third party.
- For example through Direct Mail, Door-to-Door canvassing and person-to-person basis.
- Done with the involvement of third party.
- Used when advertiser do not wish to appeal to a particular group of people buy to masses.
- For example though Television and Radio.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Advertising
Of Direct Advertising
- Personal contact. Results in better communication of the message.
- Suitable for product requiring lot of advise and explanation.
- Cheap of smaller market.
- Demonstration of product is possible.
- No wasteful circulation. Limited to only target customers.
- Limited coverage. Lack of man power.
- People do not take this type of advertisement seriously.
Of Indirect Advertising
- Wide coverage through mass media.
- Low unit cost.
- Different tools of appeals can be used
- High absolute cost.
- Wasteful circulation.
- Increases sales.
- Economies of scale through increased sales.
- High profits.
- Bigger market share.
- Brand image is created.
- Increase in cost.
- May result in price war among advertisers.
- Loss in case of unsuccessful advertisement.
- Imitation brand.
- Introduction to new products.
- Awareness of different brands in the market.
- Lower prices due to economies of scale.
- Better quality goods at cheap rates due to competition.
- Certain goods and services are made available to the public at very low prices because of their income form advertisement for example newspaper and magazines.
- Higher prices of goods. Price of advertisement is added to the product.
- Misleading claims.
- Imitation brands.
- Customers become confused.
- Unnecessary purchases.
Techniques used by the advertiser in his promotion to appeal their target market, develop their interest, activate their desire and induce action.
- Motherly love
- Family Love
- Endorsement of famous personalities
|Wide coverage||Wasteful circulation|
|Daily circulation||Reach only literate people|
|Different rates depending on
size and location of ads
|Poor quality advertisement|
|Low cost per exposure||No audio/visual impact|
|Targeted||No audio/visual impact|
|Still cheap||Suitable only for literate people|
|Low cost per exposure|
|Wide coverage||No visual impact|
|Audio impact||Exposure life is very short|
|Can reach illiterate people||Ads fail to get attention|
|Targeted. (Ads between programs)||Becoming less popular|
|Audio and Visual impact||High absolute cost|
|Lost cost per exposure||Wasteful circulation|
|Wide coverage||Fail to get attention|
Factors affecting choice of Advertisement Media
|2.||Type of message||Includes detail or not|
|3.||Type of product||Requires demonstration/Requires Audio and visual impact|
|6.||Government policy||Does government allow such types of ads|
Account Service Department
- Account in advertising means business or customer.
- Creates advertising plan by taking basic information about client’s business, marketing strategies, budget and target market.
- Responsible for thinking the theme and writing the dialogues/jingles.
- Makes sure that the message reaches the required market.
- Responsible for displaying the ad via suitable media.
- Responsible for set designing and shooting of ad.
- Government Legislation
- Advertising Standard Authority: Independent body which makes it sure that any advertisement which is publicized should not hurt audience.